Re: ncr 53cXXX, once again.

Indeed, you do need MB BIOS support for the cards mentioned. Usually this tidbit
is given along with technical information for MBs. Here's an example. This is
some brief technical information from the Mfr. of a MB I have (note the BIOS info
explicity states that the BIOS is included):

 DX-9700 FEATURES
 CPUs SUPPORTED
 ?Intel 486 DX, DX2, DX4 Non-SL and SL Enhanced Microprocessors
 ?Cyrix/IBM/SGS/TI 486 DX, DX2, DX2-V80, DX4, DX4-GC, DX4-GP,
 DX4-GIC, DX4-GP4 & 5x86 100MHz/120MHz/133MHz SL Enhanced
 Microprocessors
 ?AMD 486 DX4, 5x86 SL Enhanced Microprocessors
 ?Supports 3.3V, 4V, and 5V CPUs with ZIF Sockets
 ?UMC Chipset

 MEMORY
 ?Up to 256MB Main Memory
 ?Four 72-pin SIMM slots for EDO and Fast Page Mode DRAM Modules

 CACHE
 ?256KB Write-Back Cache SRAM Module

 BUS ARCHITECTURE
 ?Three 32-Bit PCI Slots
 ?One 32-Bit VLB Slot
 ?Four 16-Bit ISA Slots

 ONBOARD I/O
 ?Two PCI Enhanced IDE Ports
 Supports 4 Devices PIO 0-4
 ?Two High Speed Serial Ports
 16550 UART Compatible
 ?One Enhanced Parallel Port
 SPP, EPP, ECP capable
 ?One Floppy Drive Port
 Supports 2 Floppy Drives

 ENERGY SAVING FUNCTIONS
 ?SMM/SMI Power Management with APM Software Interface
 Monitor CPU & I/O status with fully user configurable parameters in BIOS

 BIOS
 ?AMI WinBIOS
 ?Optional Flash PnP BIOS for easy upgrade
 ?NCR SCSI 810 BIOS built-in

 SIZE
 ?8-5/8" X 9-7/8"
 22cm X 25 cm