Re: more or less Newbies?

Thank you Joost, for spelling out what I thought and felt.

The one thing that remains for me to say is that I didn't want to object
against less as the default pager. I just wanted to point out that more is a
UNIX power tool, and that it does make sense to have more but not less on a
system.

However, it is not a bug that you can't scroll back in man pages with more.

The reason is, that man feeds the formatted man page with a pipe (another
power facility of the shell) in more, and pipe can't be seeked randomly but
only in a sequence.

To see the difference, one may try:

$ more <filename> 		# right, you have random access

and

$ cat <filename> | more 	# suboptimal, you can only go forward

Another point I want to stress is the importance of regular expressions, a
concept that in the three operating systems mentioned by lucier is not even
known. Learn regex's, and you have made a big step forward to a Linux Guru.

Marcus
PS: After learning awk and shell cripting, you get perl nearly for free.

PPS: I removed ls from my system and have an alias "ls" -> "echo *" ;)

PPPS: I also have an alias "emacs" -> "cat >"