Re: fvwm2: icons not visible as user, ok as root.

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998 01:28:21 +1000, wrote:
> For quite a while, I have not been able to see most icons in fvwm2 (or other
> windows managers, except afterstep, which keeps icons in a certain
> directory).  As far as I can recall, icons were visible for a brief time
> when I first installed Debian on this machine in July 1997.

I primarily use afterstep, so I'm not a fvwm authority, but if fvwm and
the "other" wm's use a common directory for icons, like
/usr/X11R6/icons (I'm not saying it does), then you'll want to be sure
your permissions are properly set for that directory.  I use hamm and
mine looks like:
  drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         5120 Feb 14 22:54 icons

Did you confirm that your user(s) configuration file(s) exist with
proper permissions and ownership?

Did you ever modify the system config file(s) as root?  If so, you may
have inadvertently changed the ownership to exclude regular users.
(I'm not much of an fvwm user, so I can't tell you where they're
located.)

Have you tried purging the package and reinstalling?  Sometimes your
config files will be remain, so you may have to hunt them down and
manually delete them.  You might try using 'updatedb' and 'locate' to
help with this.
--
David Stern