Re: HAMM: Recomended for update?

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Alexander Kushnirenko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There were messages around last week saying that Hamm "is broken", certain
> packages were missing and could be retrieved only from special places...
> (sorry if I did not get the situation right)...  So as of today whould it be
> recomended to try to update packages and see Hamm in all it's shining glory?
> Or there is still some time needed to make it even better?

I had upgraded before the problems occured and it all worked fine.  I
noticed a disk problem and tried a new install.  That worked fine, but when
I went to restore from tape, I had some errors which broke my system even
worse than before (not HAMM's fault!).  I reinstalled bo from CD and am
now trying the upgrade again (from Scott's excellent script).

I got through the initial part using the ftp method and had only one file
missed (libc5).  I downloaded that and re-ran the script and it went very
smoothly.  Dselect didn't report any missing dependencies, which looks
promising.

I'm now letting dselect grab a bunch of other stuff and will then reboot.
It looks very good so far.  The test will come when I reboot.

Bob