Re: more or less Newbies?

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998 lucier@cow-net.com wrote:

> wasn't about setting up servers.......it was about setting up a USEABLE default install for
> NEWBIES.  Most installations are NOT going to be set up as servers, regardless of whether or
It's simple to do this.  Most newbies are going to use bash,  right,
rather than tcsh or ksh or something?  So put

eval $(lesspipe)
alias more=less
export PAGER=less

in /etc/profile and life is good.  Then leave less and more where they are
in the filesystem,  and someone who NEEDS to run more (eg. when the /usr
filesystem's broke) can do so by unaliasing more or just running it with a
full path.

> I don't mean to be rude here, but quite honestly this sounds like something that may have
> applied years ago when running resource and hardware limited systems.  I'll repeat my original
Sure.  But engineering with these anchient ideas in mind is largely what
makes linux so stable and reliable.

Besides which,  when you're first setting up your system,  it's quite
possible that you might incorrectly configure some things that would make
less unusable,  like screen sizes and attributes.  More doesn't fuggle
with any of those,  and so works better in the default case.

> page up/down and backscroll. "   If it takes a second floppy disk to round out a decent set of
> emergency programs then what's the big deal about that?  In fact, IMHO, the benefits gained by
You can only put one in the drive at a time,  unfortunately. :)

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|    PGP Public Key:  http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/index.html#pgpkey    |