Re: Linux SAMBA -> Win NT.

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Toth Laszlo wrote:

> Hi!
>

> I have problems with it too. I have Service Pack 3. When I try logging in
> with samba, I get this message:
>
> \\drama is not accessible
> The account is not authorized to login from this station.

Either you upgrade samba to support encrypted passwords which is the
best solution (see the other replies). But if you can't do that you
can force the NT machine to accept plain text  passwords by changning
in the registry. Use the attached reg-file or run regedit and add in
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters"
a dword-field named  "EnablePlainTextPassword" with value 1.
To get back encrypted passwords only just change the value to 0.

/fax

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters]

"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

@=dword:00000000

[Microsoft Home][Products][Search][Support][Shop][Write Us][Image][Microsoft Home]

[Microsoft Technical Support][Microsoft Technical Support][Image][Current Features]

[Image]

[Search Support Online]

[Submit a Question]

[Return to...]

    With Unencrypted Password SP3 Fails to Connect to SMB Server

    Last reviewed: September 10, 1997

    Article ID: Q166730

       * Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 4.0

       * Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0

    SYMPTOMS

    After upgrading your Windows NT 4.0 computer to Service Pack 3

    (SP3), you are unable to connect to SMB servers (such as Samba or

    Hewlett-Packard (HP) LM/X or LAN Manager for UNIX) with an

    unencrypted (plain text) password.

    When attempting to connect after you upgrade to Windows NT 4.0

    Service Pack 3, you receive the following error message:

       System error 1240 has occurred.

       The account is not authorized to login from this station.

    Connecting to SMB servers (such as Samba or Hewlett-Packard (HP)

    LM/X or LAN Manager for UNIX) with an unencrypted (plain text)

    password fails after you upgrade to Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3.

    CAUSE

    This is because the SMB redirector in Service Pack 3 handles

    unencrypted passwords differently than previous versions of Windows

    NT. Beginning with Service Pack 3, the SMB redirector does not send

    an unencrypted password unless you add a registry entry to enable

    unencrypted passwords.

    RESOLUTION

    To enable unencrypted (plain text) passwords, modify the registry

    in the following way:

    WARNING: Using the registry editor incorrectly can cause serious,

    system- wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT.

    Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use

    of the registry editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own

    risk.

      1. Run Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

      2. From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:

         \system\currentcontrolset\services\rdr\parameters

      3. Click Add Value on the Edit menu.

      4. Add the following:

               Value Name: EnablePlainTextPassword

               Data Type: REG_DWORD

               Data: 1

      5. Click OK and then quit Registry Editor.

      6. Shut down and restart Windows NT.

    To enable unencrypted (plain text) passwords in an automated setup,

    modify the registry in the following way:

    WARNING: Using the registry editor incorrectly can cause serious,

    system- wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT.

    Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use

    of the registry editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own

    risk.

    Add the following line to the Product.Add.Reg section of the

    Update.inf file:

       HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters,

       "EnablePlainTextPassword", 0x10001, 1

             [Did this information help answer your question?]

                [Yes]

                [No]               [Image]

                [It didn't apply]

             [Image]

          Additional query words: prodnt 4.00 VAX

          Version : 4.0

          Platform : winnt

          Issue type : kbreadme

          Solution Type : kbservicepack

          THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE MICROSOFT KNOWLEDGE

          BASE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.

          MICROSOFT DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR

          IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY

          AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL

          MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR

          ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT,

          INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS OR

          SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS

          SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH

          DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR

          LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL

          DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.

                     Last reviewed: September 10, 1997

      ©1997 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Legal Notices.