Re: odd ppp bug

Britton <fsblk@aurora.alaska.edu> wrote:

| I have been experiencing an odd problem with ppp on my machine.
| I have an attack dialer set up, and for the most part it works.
| Every now and then however, I forget to turn it off, and it
| rediales for days. After many hours or days, connections
| start to fail every time, the modem ringing then making it's
| customary screeching noises, then going beep-Beep-BOOP in
| deceending tones until timeout. The strange thing is that this
| keeps happening even after I kill pppd and chat. I assumed this
| was some defensive measure of my ISP, but one day I called them
| to beg for mercy and they promised they knew nothing about it.
| They told me to reboot my machine, and I kept from laughing,
| barely. But it turned out they were right, reboot and the
| problem goes away. I don't know if this is a bug lurking in the
| kernel or if there is a daemon I don't know about gone wrong
| somewhere or what. If anyone has any ideas or can reccomend
| something to do to get more information I would love to hear
| about it.

This sounds something like the problem I'm having. I use
Minicom's runscript to connect with an ISP. The ISP has one or
several modems that act up occasionally -- locking carrier but
not doing anything else or not answering at all. Runscript seems
to have forgotten how to hang up now. Here's the problem area:

HANGUP:
    set h 0
HANGUP2:
    inc h
    print "\n..hanging up"
    send "+++\c"      <== seems to get caught up here
    sleep 3
    send "ATH"

    expect {
        "OK"    goto DIAL
        timeout 5
    }
    if h < 2 goto HANGUP2
    goto ERROREXIT

DIAL:
    send "ATDT5555555"
    expect {

This didn't happen with the bo runscript, so I compiled that
version against libc6. Back to the same old problem; wouldn't
hang up. So now I'm using the libc5 runscript. Works fine. But
I'd like to get rid of it as it's the only program on my system
that requires libc5.

Rick