Re: debian on a laptop?

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Will Lowe wrote:

> I'm thinking about buying myself a laptop on which to run Debian.  It'd
> have to be used and relatively inexpensive,  as I'm in college and have no
> money.
>
> Anyway,  I was thinking that a laptop 486 DX/4 100 with 16 megs of ram
> ought to run ok,  considering that I probably won't bother trying to run X
> -- I live in Emacs anyway.  My concerns are things like PCMCIA drivers and
> things -- I'd need both a PCMCIA modem and an ethernet card.  Are there
> problems with either of these devices in linux/Debian in general on
> laptops?  Are there any other concerns I should have about running Debian
> on a laptop?
There are difficulties but no problems. I can remember off hand what I
went thru to get Debian to run on my laptop. By the way major
difficulties have to do with monitors and X. Also Debian is just like
other distributions.

Try to see laptop howtos etc for information. If the question is can
Debian run on a laptop my answer yes it does.

Daniel J. Mashao
Electrical Engineering                daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town	       	    http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel
Rondebosch, 7700, S. Africa    (w) 27+21+650 2816   (h) 27+21+705 1233