Re: Network/PPP Help

Hello Billm

	And thanks for the reply.

At 12:26 AM 3/22/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Harry;
>You will probably get lots of responses to your request for help but
>here are some of my thoughts.
>It is impossible to tell from what you have written whether your problem
>is a routing problem or just that you are not establishing the ppp link.

	I think my problem is a routing problem as I have been able to establish
the PPP link.

>First, your machine's IP address should NOT be! (or,
>or, or as these are all 'special' addresses)
>When you say that you are connecting manually do you mean that you are
>using something like seyon or minicom, login in, quitting the terminal
>program without resetting the modem, and then envoking pppd?

Yes that is exactly what I am doing. And everything works fine as far as I
can tell.

>As soon as you have started your session:
>type '/sbin/ifconfig' and you should get something like:
>bash-2.01$ /sbin/ifconfig
>lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>          inet addr:  Bcast:  Mask:
>          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
>          RX packets:1455 error:0 dropped:0 over:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:1455 error:0 dropped:0 over:0 carrier:0 coll:0
>ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
>          inet addr:  P-t-P:  Mask:
>          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:1633 error:0 dropped:0 over:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:1672 error:0 dropped:0 over:0 carrier:0 coll:0
>Of course your numbers will be different (except for the second line
>which must be the same as mine).

Yes I get this exactly, with the different ip numbers as you mentioned.

>then type:
>bash-2.01$ plog
>Mar 21 18:57:44 gandalf chat[1554]: bleach^M
>Mar 21 18:57:44 gandalf chat[1554]: Password:
>Mar 21 18:57:44 gandalf chat[1554]:  -- got it
>Mar 21 18:57:44 gandalf chat[1554]: send (<your password>^M)
>Mar 21 18:57:45 gandalf pppd[1553]: Serial connection established.
>Mar 21 18:57:46 gandalf pppd[1553]: Using interface ppp0
>Mar 21 18:57:46 gandalf pppd[1553]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
>Mar 21 18:57:50 gandalf pppd[1553]: Cannot determine ethernet address
>for proxy ARP
>Mar 21 18:57:50 gandalf pppd[1553]: local  IP address
>Mar 21 18:57:50 gandalf pppd[1553]: remote IP address
>Now this will probably be quite different for you (ie:  since you are
>starting the session manually you won't have any of the 'chat' lines.
>Notice that the local and remote IP addresses match the ones that I had
>in my ifconfig report.

I have not gone that far yet as for automating the log on. I just got to
the point in the Howto: that I could connect to my ISP and then I got stuck.

>Some important files:
>bash-2.01$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>domain worldnet.att.net
>search worldnet.att.net
>Note that you will have to have your own ISPs domain name and nameserver
>ip addresses.
>bash-2.01$ cat host.conf
>order hosts,bind
>multi on

The above files are just like yours with the exception of my ISP's and DNS

>And if you are running the hamm version of debian:
>bash-2.01$ cat nsswitch.conf
># /etc/nsswitch.conf
># Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
># Information about this file is available in the `libc6-doc' package.
>passwd:         db files
>group:          db files
>shadow:         db files
>hosts:          files dns
>networks:       files

>protocols:      db files
>services:       db files
>ethers:         db files
>rpc:            db files
>netgroup:       db files

No I am not running the HAMM version yet. I wanted to get everything done
in the stable version before moving up to the HAMM verison.

>If you don't get a similar ifconfig response then your ppp link is not
>coming up (and should be confirmed with the plog command [or tail
>/var/log/ppp.log if you don't have the plog command]).
>Have you tried ping to ip address instead of names?
>When you ping to a name (like ftp.debian.org) then a DNS lookup has to
>occur but when you ping to an IP address (like, the ping
>is direct.

This is where my problem starts. When I ping my ISP I get good pings but
only, but if I try the name, dallas.net, I get nothing as I
have not be able to establish a link to the DNS. I can ping my own machine
and my ISP by IP numbers only.

>      bleach@BellSouth.net  b.leach@Worldnet.att.net
>           b.leach@usa.net  LinuxPC@Hotmail.com
>from a 1996 Micro$loth ad campaign:
>"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"
>         See!  They do get some things right!

Thanks again, Bill. This was my first question and I wasn't sure how to
exactly ask it. But you have given me some ideas where to look.