Re: I am leaving Debian

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I would counsel against panic. There are 300 developers, and some of them
> are _smart_. Nobody was essential, especially me.

Ok, I tried not to get into this, but I feel the need for some information
on the issue.

I'd like to know if what Remco Blaakmeer mentioned is indeed the problem
point, namely the fact that the developers are more interested in
developing a great hacker system and not a general purpose user system
and, if so, I'd appreciate a little more enlightnment on the pratical
problems etc. And, if that's the point, I'd like to know what's the
future actions of SPI towards this goal (general purpose user system).

I feel the lack of presence of SPI outside of debian, which will probably
change now (AFAIK, SPI doesn't even have a web page!). I myself enjoy
editing config files with a text editor instead of a nice GUI program ;-),
so I guess debian will continue to be my distribution of choice; however,
I *really* want to see GNU/linux become a viable alternative for the
desktop, we are already very close!

See ya,
Nelson
lago@that.com.br