Re: sendmail ignores /etc/hosts

Bob Nielsen <nielsen@primenet.com> writes:

> sendmail seems to ignore the entries in /etc/hosts, relying instead on
> doing a DNS lookup for each message.  smail does this also.  Is there a
> way to configure it to look first at /etc/hosts and use the DNS only if
> the address cannot be resolved there?  I assume it doesn't use
> /etc/host.conf, because that already has:
>
> order hosts,bind
> multi on

Well, with smail when this happens it's because smail is looking for
MX DNS records, not A DNS records; to get smail to use the hosts file
you need to tell it to use the gethostbyname router for certain
locations (you do this by having a gethostbyname router with the
"required" attribute before your other routers).

I suspect that sendmail is doing the same thing - that is, looking for
MX DNS records, which means bypassing the hosts file.  You need to
somehow tell sendmail to just use gethosbyname() instead of DNS stuff;
maybe there's a way to have sendmail look for address (A) DNS records,
which should amount to the same thing as using gethostbyname().