[Q] Mesa + gcc 2.8.1 +libc6 (Linux)

Hello,
I compiled Mesa with gcc 2.8.1 + the latest libc6 (that includes
pthreads 0.7)
on Linux.

I tried make linux-386-pthreads,
make linux-386-elf,
make linux-elf

All the sample programs core dump. The debugger cannot step through the
core file.
I also tried putting a printf right the main declaration -- does not
even go there.
I also tried one by one eliminate the compile switches (all of them,
including the
ones that have to do with optimization) -- did not make a difference.
When building linux-386-pthread combination I had to remove -ansi
-pedantic flags
otherwize the compiler complained -- but that should have influenced
anything.

My other programs compile and work fine (they do not use threads, but
use
the adopted version of STL and linked to libstdc++)

I also notice that even if I do not specify to compile threaded version
of Mesa,
ldd reports that I am linking to libpthread.so -- which my programms do
not show.

And one more thing: linux-386-pthread option of Mesa makefiles does not
build
the shared version of Mesa and Glut libs -- is there a limitation?

Was anyone able to get this combination of compiler lib and Mesa (2.6)
to work
on Linux (debian - hamm) ?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Vladislav