Re: Domain Name

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Lindsay Allen wrote:

> Are you running NIS ?  The only domainname executable that I saw with a
> grep of hamm/Contents came from net/nis.
>
> My box returns elm.(none).  I noticed this a year or so ago but had
> forgotten it.  I am about to make your suggested mods but don't want to
> reboot just for that <grin>.

No I am not running NIS (and never have). My system contains a symlink
/bin/domainname -> hostname , but I can't find out where it came from. You
could also use /bin/dnsdomainname , which is in the 'hostname' package and
which is a hard link to /bin/hostname.

So, you'd have this in /etc/init.d/boot or /etc/init.d/hostname.sh :

hostname --file /etc/hostname
dnsdomainname --file /etc/domainname

And I don't think you'll need to reboot for it to work. Just run the
command as root and see what happens.

Remco