Re: New handling of scripts external to PPPD (ie ip-up, ip-down)

Hi!

Adam Heath (adam.heath@usa.net):
> I am thinking of more places to add runlevels.  Currently, I am trying to
> eliminate the connect option from pppd's option files.  Ppp-functions would be
> called like this: "/etc/ppp/ppp-functions dial <hostname> <username> <ip-up
> parms>," with stdin, stdout, and stderr redirected to the serial port.
> Ppp-functions could then use whatever means nescessary to dial.  This would
> allow for dialing several numbers in round-robin fashion, better redial
> capabilities, enhanced logging, etc.

hmm, somehow I feel a little uncomfortable with stderr > /dev/ttyS??
a) errors *MAY* confuse a modem
b) warnings *WILL* confise a modem
c) nobody except of myself needs to know when I wasn't able to write a
   working script

I'd prefer stderr >/dev/null
And put the following to the connect script:
 # you may uncomment the following to debug this script
 #exec 2>/tmp

And since you mentioned improved logging:
How do you think about teaching chat to use syslog for REPORT, SAY and
(optionaly) specify a filename|stderr to override this. This way you needn't
fill up your syslogs with the verbose chat output and still keep track of
your connect-rate.
I modified chat from 2.3.2 to (only) sylog REPORTs - it wasn't very hard.

I think it's great to add something like <hostname> and <username>.
But I'm a little curious where from you intend to get the <hostname>? :-(
Hmm, I suppose using the argument from pppd's call option isn't appropriate,
isn#t it?
Did you already elaborate how handle inbound setup? Or diald?
How Do you intend to tell pppd wether it needs to run "ppp-functions dial".

> If a package wants to be run when pppd is on, then include a file
> "/etc/ppp/scripts.d/<packagename>."  In the postinst, run the command
> ppp-update.d.

And what happens when a package is installed before pppd is?

Regards
 Rainer

---
KeyID=58341901 fingerprint=A5 57 04 B3 69 88 A1 FB  78 1D B5 64 E0 BF 72 EB