Re: passwords

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, David B Wilson wrote:

> When I boot into Debian 1.3, it eventually prompts me for a password
> without ever having asked me for a login name.  If I don't respond,
> it keeps prompting me.
>
> Also, when I initially installed, when I logged in as root, it
> prompted me for a new password.  But no matter how many times I gave
> it a (good) password, it rejected it.  Eventually I had to login
> via a different virtual console, and edit the /etc/passwd file with
> emacs.  (I selected password shadowing during the install.)

Sounds like the 2nd problem caused the first. If the installation doesn't
complete, you get left with a bespoke version of /etc/inittab. I think you'll
see the real one with a similar name and you should rename them, updating
the new one with any changes you made to the old one. I don't know why
the 2nd problem occurred.

Cheers,

--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151