Re: LINUX "Proxy"

PMan:

Well, out of the five responses I got from a post in the debian users
group, I got four mentions of IPMasq, and two mentions of a proxy called
SQUID. Nobody even mentioned SOCKS, but I have definitely heard of it
from my many run-throughs of NT configuration. Which way do y'all have
it set up at your home? Remember that we will have three users instead
of the two, and would usually prefer to use the proxy than a straight
dial-up. Just what quality connections could we expect to get out of the
following system:

Cyrix PR200MX (Super-TX Mother w/Award PnP BIOS)
512 PB cache
32 mB EDO
2 gB EIDE (Samsung) HD
56k X2 USR Sportster internal PnP (Model 1787, not 1785)
4 mB Trident video (does the video card matter too much?)
Microdyne NE2500-compatible 10-Base-T
10-Base-T mini-hub

We don't expect to have a bunch of extra crap running on server, but I
would like the usual bourne-again stuff and some development tools for
C++, PERL, and maybe Tcl. I recently heard (while checking out different
packages) about a new thing being developed by OpenMarket called
FastCGI. What's that deal? Are these the same OpenMarket guys who are
trying to patent certain encryption/commerce processes? If I understand
it correctly, they're not trying to say they came up with these things
first, just that no one had patented them yet, so they would. Have you
caught wind of any of this? It supposedly went down in the last two
weeks.

I know that's alot to respond to. Just reply as time permits, of course,
and the performance expectations are really all that I need to know. But
if you have the time, I always enjoy getting you informed opinion on
anything you think might be helpful or just plain KeWl.

Thanks.
Jay Winks

P.S. If you would, when you reply, please cc: guitardude@mindspring.com
and hartley@mindspring.com (John and Mike) -- they really need to be in
on the process of getting informed about the decisions being made. After
all... it's their server, too.