ftp firewalling

Hi,

Sorry if this is off-the-topic.

I am trying to set up a firewall on our network, but to allow ftp
connections from internal machines to specific external sites (on a
per-site basis).  The problem I am having is that ftp seems to use ports
other than 20 and 21.

At the moment I only allow transfers on these two ports.  This allows me
to make an ftp connection (ie. the external site prompts for username
password, and I can enter those) but when I try to do any transfers (ie
gets, puts, or lists) they just time out.

Can anybody give me a bit more info on how ftp works?

Chris