2.0 boot/install disk set

Hello,

I just tried the 2.0 (unstable) boot disks today.  I ran into a few
problems.  I'm reporting them here in hopes they will be helpful.  If
you need more info I'll be happy to do what I can (if you need me to
blow away the install and start over, I'd like to know this weekend.
I'm not going to blow it away after Monday)

1) After unpacking the "Base" disks, the install seemed to get confused,
and took me back to the initial screen.  I chose "Next" and was prompted
to install the base system, so perhaps this was a user interface bug.
Either way, it was confusing.

2) The installation script was unable to install 'mbr' properly in the
boot block.  The 1.3 disks had the same problem, although the 1.3
version would give me the "1FA:" prompt ... the 2.0 version just sat
there.  This is an IBM PC Server 325, with a built in AIC-7880, and two
2.1 G IBM UW drives.

3) Once I was able to reboot (I made a boot floppy :) dselect wasn't
quite right.  First, ftp access bombed, because perl-base was not
properly installed.  It wanted "libgdbm1-dev", iirc, which I couldn't
find.  Also, if I used the mounted method (a mounted nfs mirror),
dselect wanted to use the "stable" directory.  Isn't this a bit
hazardous, considering that the current "stable" is libc5, rather than
libc6?  I wasn't willing to risk it, so I had to fight with dselect a
bit so it would use the "unstable" directories instead.

4) That was a waste of time, because dselect bombed out of the "Install"
step right away, due to the problem with perl-base.

I rebooted and started over with 1.3 disks, to ensure that hardware
wasn't the problem (this is a new server).  I did have a similar 'mbr'
problem, noted above ... I did miss the new-look menus :)  Otherwise,
installation went as expected.

I'm going to run autoup.sh and see how that goes.  I'm expecting good
results, since I've had previous success with autoup.sh ...

If I should've sent this elsewhere, I apologize.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104