Boot Installer can't read HD... Help!

Hi All,

I've been struggling as a newbie both to Linux and programming to prepare
adequately to install Debian without too many tears.  Been at at it for
four days days now, reading docs/faqs, preparing my fully-functional (at
the moment Win95 based) Quantum 3gb hd for a new Linux partition, writing
installer floppies, etc, all in the hopes of being able to install this
U-beaut OS called Linux... but today was the worst.  I booted from the Deb
Linux 'rescue' floppy, got as far as Linux reading my HD table, when it
told me simply "Can't find hard disk"... this was under the Hamm installer,
but the Bo behaved exactly the same.

Game Over, Man.  What can i do now?  From what few messages I can read
about Linux' interpretation of my hardware (scrolling up at lightspeed), it
seems as if it can't identify my (PCI-based) Promise IDE hard disk
controller device.  Win95, even FIPS had no problem reading the HD, so what
gives?

I am just about ready to fold up and go back to my pitiful Win95 existence.
Can anyone help?  I have checked the hd-controller-mboard cabling, it seems
fine...

I was able to glean this much on what Linux could recognise of the Promise:

"RAID bus controller: Promise Technology unknown device (rev 1).
Vendor id=105a. Device id=4d33."

My system is a GW2K Pentium II 266, 3.2gb IDE Quantum UDMA Fireball,
Promise PCI UDMA controller

thanx in advance for any advice,

Andre M. Czausov
anders@deakin.edu.au