Re: tape backup regiment

If you want to do a full backup each night the cron job is a snap, just
'dump 0f /dev/tape-device'. As to the restore disk this is something I've
wanted to set up for a while. I haven't made it a priority though because I
know I can restore by hand. This shouldn't be too hard though: there's a
package which creates the boot disk and the main thing you need to do is get
'restore' on the boot disk. Alternatively, you could use tar. Things get
more complicated when you consider that if there's a disk crash you'll have
to handle the partitioning a file system creation. This would take some
pretty fancy logic. Ultimately this is probably not something which can be
done perfectly. I think your best bet is to put all the utilities onto the
boot disk and assume you'll have to walk the customer through a restore.
Better yet, perhaps you could get a boot disk set up which would run a getty
and allow you to log in over a modem and do the restore yourself, simply
telling the customer when to swap in tapes?

Rob Goodwin wrote:

> I would like to set up a "fail-safe" backup system for a linux box that
> i am putting together for a client of mine.  Ideally the client will
> just have to make sure there is a new tape in there every other day and
> a cron will take care of backing up the entire 2G drive to tape sometime
> when everyone else is sleeping.
>
> In the event of a drive crash I would like to have some kind of a boot
> disk handy such that once the drive is replaced they can run a script to
> fdisk/format/restore from tape.  Has anyone heard of or done something
> like this?  how?
>
> any suggestions on tape hardware?
>
> thanks,
>
> rob