Re: default blanking

Steve Mayer <smayer@rtd.com> writes:

> tko,
>
>   setterm -blank 0
>
> Steve Mayer
> smayer@rtd.com
>
> tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:
> >
> > I know that this has been asked before, but please refresh my
> > memory...  The default screen blanking is shutting off the X
> > windows display preventing the long term usage of the screen
> > savers. How do I disable the console default blanking so that I can
> > use the screen savers instead? Thanks.

No, what you want is "xset s off" - the setterm line is for text
consoles.  (The blanking of the X screen is not actually the same as
the blanking that happens on text consoles).  While you're looking at
that, you may want to check out "xset +dpms" - a better blanking for
power-saving monitors.  (test it with "xset dpms force standby")  As
always, the man page (for xset) will give you more information.