Re: Tcl/Tk source ?

Markus Lechner <Markus.Lechner@munich.netsurf.de> writes:
ML> i'm expieriencing a problem when compiling different packages
ML> which use Tcl/Tk. The problem is that make ends up with an error
ML> complaining about a missing tcl.h and tk.h. The paths are set
ML> accordingly. Do i use the wrong versions (Tcl7.6, Tk4.2, and all
ML> the runtime-libs)?

In most cases, header files are included only with the -dev packages.
On my (hamm) system, tcl.h is in the tcl8.0-dev package; try
installing this or an equivalent package on your system.

ML> So i thought, it would be a good idea to get the source from a
ML> debian-server - but found none. Is there a .deb source-package for
ML> Tcl/Tk?

There's not a general case of a ".deb source package" in the same
sense as an SRPM.  Debian sources are distributed as a tarball
(ideally one downloaded from some upstream source) and a gzipped patch
file.  If you download these two and the corresponding .dsc file, you
can use dpkg-source (in the dpkg-dev package) to unpack the source
tree.  For hamm, you can find tcl8.0 sources at
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/tcl8.0_8.0p2{-2.diff.gz,-2.dsc,.orig.tar.gz}.

ML> Do i need the source to compile other packages?

I wouldn't think so.  Usually the -dev package is sufficient.  (The
-dev package _should_ be sufficient.)

ML> Is the non-debian source usable?

Probably; it's most likely identical to the tcl...orig.tar.gz file off
the ftp site.  Note that if you build the source yourself, dpkg won't
know that you've installed tcl and will give you lots of dependency
errors.  This is poor.

--
/                             \  "The cat's been in the box for over