How do you e2defrag?

Hi,

I have debian installed on a single partition, a partition which
I suspect is greatly fragmented (is there an easy way to tell?).  I wish
to use the program e2defrag to defragment it, but have realized this could
be more difficult than I first thought.

I see that the partition will need to be dismounted first, which puts me
in a catch 22 situation.  I can't have linux running while the root
partition is dismounted.  I presume I will need to use some kind of rescue
disk and copy e2defrag onto floppy or something.  What is the best way to
go about this?  Is there a debian package which could help me with this
sort of thing?

I suspect things could go wrong very easily with this kind of operation,
so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.