gcc problem

My hamm system crashed and burned yesterday....
the problem was related to an accidently installe dpackage not
unmounting filesystems properly on reboot
in any case....
today I re-installed. I installed bo then I upgraded to hamm
via autoup.sh and the CD I burned on 3-4-98
then of course dselect and all...installed X etc...
then I was about to re-build my kernel...when I got an error message
from gcc...here is a little snipit from a try:
[sjc@Shit-Box sjc]gcc hello.c
gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 11

it does the same no matter what I use... in this case hello.c is
simply the standard "hello World" I took 5 seconds and wrote
I tried strace gcc hello.c
and I get screenfulls of info...and a few refernces to files not being
found
(like what I was informed is suposed to be a sym link to /usr/sbin/ld in

./usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux ..and a few others)
even after making these links...it still gives the error
version is:
[sjc@Shit-Box sjc]gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/specs
gcc version 2.7.2.3
if anyone can help I would apreciate it...
I can provide any other info you may need...I am stumped and I need some
sleep...hafta leave for work in under 4 hours...need sleep (but not too
much
only working on fixing end-luser Win95 machines and Macs)
-Steve