Sendmail error: Operating system error: Error 0

I have just set up a Debian box with Sendmail 8.8.8. Sendmail finally
appears to be configured correctly, and I am able to send mail from my
machine to outside hosts. When I attempt to send mail from one user to
another or from an outside account to an account on my machine however,
the message does not get delivered. The message sits in Sendmail's queue
with the comment (Operating system error: Error 0) between the sender and
recipient. Any ideas? I am rather new to the world of UNIX and to setting
up mail servers, so I'm guessing it's a relatively simple problem, but the
answer has thus far eluded me. Thanks for your help!

Rich Puhek
rpuhek@d.umn.edu
rpuhek@etnsystems.com (soon)