Re: sendmail delivery error

This might actually be a manifestation of another problem ... only
256 files are allowed to be open in the standard configuration. You will
need to patch and rebuild the kernel to increase the number of open files
allowed by the system.

This can easilly be a problem for a mail server.  I know it was a problem
on mine, particularly during a queue run.

Contact me if you need the patch and see if that helps.  It might require
a recompile of sendmail as well after the patches are applied.

On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Ronn Pimentel wrote:

> I've been getting the below error on my Debian 1.3rel6 system  in the
> /var/log/deliver.errlog  I am using sendmail 8.8.5.  The server is a
> pretty busy mail hub.  And it's happening pretty regularly now, about
> twice a day on different email boxes.  Any suggestions? Any hints?
>
> --------------------------- 3 Mar 1998, 05:44:38 PST
> process 22024: deliver 2.1.12
> deliver: can't lock with fcntl(): Device or resource busy
> deliver: delivery error on host music
> Delivery to these addresses failed:
>         mgee
> Reason(s) for failure: