Re: dial-in / dial-out on same device

On Fri, Mar 06, 1998 at 11:01:33PM -0600, Geoff Kuchera wrote:
> I seem to be having a great deal of difficulty seting up a modem on a serial
> line that I can have setup for dial-in and when it's not busy be able to dial
> out on it.  I have in the past set this up as such.
>
> In inittab run a getty on device /dev/ttyS0 then when I want to dial-out say
> with uucp or diald I use the call out device /dev/cua0.
>
> Now when I try to do this I get a device busy on the cua device.  Can someone
> please enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong...

cuaN devices are obselete; they are no longer used for call out with
ttySN used for call-in. ttySN is used for both. Also, use mgetty
instead of just plain getty, it handles modems much better.
I have mgetty running on /dev/ttyS1 when not in use, and can dial out
on /dev/ttyS1 with minicom, diald etc without problem.

hamish