sendmail queueing problem

I seem to have a problem with my sendmail configuration.

In upgrading from bo (sendmail 8.8.5) to hamm (8.8.8), incoming AND
outgoing mail seems to be getting queued for delivery.

The behavior under 8.8.5 was to try to establish a TCP/SMTP connection as
soon as mail was sent out, or came in, and it got queued only of the TCP
connection could not be immediately established.  That's good behavior.
When I sent mail, it went out immediately if my dialup connection was up.
When I used fetchmail to grab my mail, it was delivered to my mailbox
immediately.  Now in both cases the mail gets queued and it can be up to
thirty minutes before it is processed (according to /etc/init.d/sendmail).
I don't want to lower this value because it's a reasonable value for when
I'm not dialed in.

So how can I get sendmail to attempt delivery immediately when a message is
queued, and *then* wait if the delivery fails?

Initially I just let the sendmail installer convert my existing .m4 file
into a sendmail.cf, but I ran sendmailconfig again recently to see if
perhaps my .m4 had been wrong somehow, or to see if the sendmailconfig
prompts had changes, but they haven't.  I still have the same problem.

Help!

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |   We either learn from history or,
Purdue University                   |   uh, well, something bad will happen.