Re: kernel Headers

Steve Hsieh wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Stephen Carpenter wrote:
>
> > Can someone explain to me please this whole debian kernel headers
> > thing?

<snip>

> > then I got curious here at work (I am installing at home) and noticed
> > that /usr/include/linux is a sym link to /usr/src/kerenel-headers-xxx
> > why i sthis so?
>
> See the /usr/doc/libc* FAQ.. Excerpt:

<snip>

> A1: Occasionally, changes in the kernel headers cause problems with
> the compilation of libc and of programs that use libc.  To ensure that
> users are not affected by these problems, we configure libc to use the
> headers from a kernel that is known to work with libc.

In that case I am just going to redo the sym-links to the real kernel source
headersI feel I am experianced enough to deal with any problems like that
which arise
on the whole it should just make my life easier

> By the way, the most recent OSS should take care of all of this stuff
> automatically, I believe.  I install OSS without having to touch any of
> the links (which point to 2.0.32 headers).  I am using kernel 2.0.33 and
> OSS for 2.0.33 without any modifications or problems.

 It might...but it claims on the web page that it doesn't
I got the 2.0.xx version and plan to upgrade to 2.0.33...
I just upgraded to hamm 2 days ago but I still use 2.0.29 so
I can hear sounds
I am contemplating a jump to 2.1.84 ...OSS/Linux has a version fo rit...
and I am running hamm "unstable" anyway....
Thanx fo rthe info....I never would have thought that the libc FAQ would
talk be where to find out about linux kernel headers strangeness
-Steve