Re: massive fetchmail frustration

Britton <fsblk@aurora.alaska.edu> writes:

> $ fetchmail
>     .
> reading message 69 (2365 bytes) .. not flushed
> reading message 70 (855 bytes)  not flushed
>
> The problem is that these messages don't show up on my home machine.  For
> example:
>
> $ mail
> No mail for bkerin
>
> where this mail command has been executed immediately after the fetchmail
> comand above it.  I believe my shell is set to alert me to incoming mail
> as well, and nothing shows up.  Again, I suspect the problem is related to
> the fact that my user names on the systems are different.

fetchmail uses your MTA (sendmail, smail, whatever you installed) to
deliver mail. I use this:

defaults proto pop3
           user jens
         poll mail.server.somewhere
               pass XXXXXXXX
         poll mail.server.elsewhere
               user jrxXXXX there has password XXXXXXXXXX

This gets mail from somewhere as user jens to user jens and mail from
elsewhere with account name jrxXXXX to local account jens.

I have to run the local MTA though with runq.

Have a look at mailq.

HTH,

Jens

> As far as I know my mail setup is as generic as it gets in all other
> respects.  If anyone out there has a working setup for circumstances like
> mine I would love to see the .fetchmailrc file that worked for you.
>
> Some related questions:
>
> Is there an elegant userland way to bring up a ppp link and retrieve mail
> every day at a specified time (like 4 AM)?  Options that occur to me are:

cron is designed to do this. If your box does not run all the time,
have a look at anacron.

HTH,

Jens
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37