Re: what is crontab?

Mike White wrote:

> I was trying to setup mgetty from dselect and got an error message
> that said it could not find crontab. Does anyone know what this file
> is and where I can get it?

Install the cron package. This contains crond, the cron daemod, and
crontab, the program used to manipulate the per user files in
/var/lib/cron/crontabs which scedule jobs on a regular basis.
This is used to do system backups during off-peak times and a myriad of
other system maintenance tasks that must occur on a regular basis.  Do
man crontab for more detail.

> I also got an error while trying to setup x-windows. It said package
> cpp was not installed. I haven't been able to find this package. Can
> someone tell me where it is?

It's the c preprocessor in interpreters.  Install the cpp package.

> John M. White
> Waco, Texas
> jmwhite@mail.hot1.net
> http://genealogy.org/~mwhite