Compiling Kernel 2.0.32

Hi All,

Last night I tried to recompile the Kernel 2.0.32 and had an error at the
end telling me that AS86 was not found after telling it to "make zImage"

I had gone through the procedure of "make config" and then "make dep ; make
clean" as suggested at the end of the config.

I assume it is an assembler package.  Why do I need it when it gcc exists,
and if so where can I get it ?

( I really should stop doing these things in the early hours of the morning
)

Thanks

Ian