hamm upgrade gone sour -cry for help

Yesterday I decided to take the plunge....
I ftp'd the entiret of the hamm/binary-i386 directory and with a little
bit of directory setup...
burned it onto a CD
I then brough tit home from work and updated my bo system to a hamm
system
I first mounted the CD and used autoup.sh (latest version) from the
CD...
this went almost flawlessly at this point I had problems with dselect so
I used dpkg
to manually install a few things first...then used dselect
then a few more manual installs and I think everyhting that wasn't
locally installed
was updated
I did the utmp/wtmp fix....but here is the first problem...
it doesn't seem to have worked
whenever I run "finger" or "w" it reports that noone is logged on
(yes I rebooted a few times)
thinking about it now....I am using kernel 2.0.29 from my old bo system
because I have
OSS/Linux and I only have th e2.0.29 version (yes I know I need to
upgrade)
and it is a custom built kernel
and it was built against the libc5 system....could that be part of  the
problem?
maybe I should get a new OSS/Linux licence for 2.0.33 (actually im
tempted since I have th ekernel sources to goto 2.1.81 or so...)
but I have a worst problem than that!!!!
even if finger doesn't work im not too worried...I mean I can logon and
do things
the problem is e-mail
I used a setup as follows:
I have a ppp link to my ISP that is only up a few hours a day when I am
there.
my ppp scripts start and kill named on their own (since I have found
named causes problems when I am not online as I have it setup as its own
nameserver with no
forwarders)
I had sendmail setup to get mail and give it to me
I had the debian pop3 server running ...with netscape pointed at the
pop3 server on
localhost (basically ...if im not online and I accidently hit "get
messages" it wont bitch at me)
the last link was fetchmail
I had fetchmail get my ISP mail and deliver it
The whole system worked fine until the upgrade
I ran "getmail" (my wrapper script...it is litterally a 1 liner that
runs
"fetchmail -S 127.0.0.1 -a" )
fetchmail reported I have 60 messages on home.gis.net (gis.net being my
ISP)
then it went through and delievred them all...
unfortunately I never recieved any of them...I typed frm and saw I had
no mail...I ran netscape...no mail...
I did a cat /var/spool/mail/sjc
and got an empty file
I even checked /var/log/mail.log and saw that all of the messages were
accepted for delivery!!!
somehow sendmail delivered my mail to elbonia
my question is this...
I hve sendmail and fetchmail...
I am online only a few hours a day (from that machine)
what is the proper sendmail config to get things working right???
I used the sendmailconfig script but to no avail....
evcerything worked right in my bo system...
HELP!!!
-Steve