Re: Ultra ATA HD Controller Comaptibility

-K
Kevin Poorman <ewigin@softhome.net> <ewigin.home.ml.org>
Do the Free-Ride <free-ride.home.ml.org>

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Joe Hill wrote:

> I am looking for a version of Linux that is compatible with my IDE HD
> controller, which is an "Ultra ATA" controller on a recent Gateway 2000 PC (300
> MHz P II).  According to the Redhat site, this controller is not compatible with
> Redhat ... my questions are:  to anyone's knowledge, is the current version of
> the Debian/Linux compatible (is this version 2.0.33 of the kernel?) and what is
> it that makes Redhat not compatible with this particular controller?  Thanks for
> your help ...

This is one of those UDMA cards ... that are not suported AFAIK by the
linux kernel team ... However I belive you will find that you can use the
Hard drive in EIDE mode by conecting it to your motherboard directly and
removing the "Ultra ATA" card ... (IIRC you need to tell the bios that you
want to use the on-board controler... )