Re: dselect (Re: Using dpkg for a custom installation from cdrom media)

Hello Joost and thanks for the reply.

I've been tinkering with dselect and I think I've figured out enough to
get it to do what it can for me......as far as that goes.

But I'm trying to do a "custom" install with alots of selected packages
for a bastion host/firewall.  This would be cumbersome to do by hand on
the three machines that would make up the firewall.

Also, we are trying to come up with a somewhat automated and well worked
out procedure for building a Debian based firewall, see:

http://www.weikert.de/debwall/

and

debian-firewall@lists.debian.org

therefore I believe dselect just will not have the functionality required
for this project and that is why I'm looking into dpkg.

It looks as if dpkg can probably pull it off.....I'm just not sure how to
use it in this complex scenario.....I've used it for simpler stuff and it
works great.....installing a kernel dselect couldn't find for instance
(2.0.33).

so my question remains, what are the steps?

?????????????????????????????

base install

su
mount cdrom
cd /mnt/stable
dpkg --set-selections < /tmp/custom_package_list -R

I've got some new machines coming in this morning so I'll try this out
blindly soon, but would appreciate any guidance from the gurus.

Thanks

	Henry Hollenberg     speed@barney.iamerica.net