Re: Pine configuration changed

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Leszek Gerwatowski wrote:
>

> > > In the latest (hamm) pine 3.96L-2,  I am getting asked (today, March 1)
> > > the question:
> > >
> > > To save disk space, delete old SENT mail folder "sent-mail-jan-1998" ?
> > >
> > > everytime I execute pine.  Formerly it was only asked once at the
> > > beginning of each month (maybe it will go away tomorrow!).
> > >
> > > I checked both ~/.pinerc and /etc/pine.conf and neither has anything
> > > specified for pruned-folders.  Is there a way to stop this?
> >
> > I noticed it also. Solution: change owner of your ~/.pinerc file. It's
> > owned by root (I don't know why) and it cannot be changed by normal user
> > (pine checks date of this file and if it's older than 1 month - it's
> > from month different than actual? - it asks about sent-mail* folders).
>
> Thanks, that fixed it.  Funny though, it only changed ownership for my
> login account, not for the others on my system.

the change of ownership in ~/.pinerc is probably due to a mistake in the
way pine (I mean pine packaged for Debian Linux) gets some
environment variable. You can reproduce the change in the ownership of
~/.pinerc by passing as superuser with the command 'su' and then running
'pine' again as root. Although pine will read the incoming mail in
/var/spool/mail/root it uses .pinerc in *your* directory and changes its properties.
I didn't look more deeply at the problem but it sounds like
the shell you run as root inherits some of the environment
from the parent shell and does'n generate its own correctly. If you
look at the saved mail you see that pine reads the user's mail
instead of root's. That suggests to me that when you become superuser
with 'su' the definition of '~' is wrong.

 -- Massimo

  Massimo Manghi / Dipartimento di Biologia Evolutiva e Funzionale
  Viale delle Scienze  | email: manghi@prfs02.biol.unipr.it
  43100 PARMA (ITALY)  |        manghi@biol.unipr.it