Kernel compilation

I'm back again,
    I have recompiled my kernel, but now it wont boot from the new
bootdisk that 'make zdisk' created.  I followed the HOWTO to the letter,
and here I am stuck.  It will still boot off of my old boot disk, but
not properly, it says there are no modules for that kernel.  As I had
kernel 2.0.29 and now have 2.0.33, this is not a large suprise.  It will
start to boot off of the new boot disk, but comes to a crashing halt and
the last thing displayed onscreen is
"VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly."
then it stops, never to restart.  I have asked people in irc, but the
best advice i got was to reformat my disk and try again, which did not
work.  I have used 2 disks, both of which have been formatted and
scandisk has been run on, both disks have no bad sectors.
Do i need to use the rawwrite program on the disks in order for them to
be usable??  I am completely at a loss and standstill until i can get
this problem solved, so any advice, other than what I received through
irc, would be appreciated.
Charles
I also get a line that says
"ide2: ports already in use, skipping probe"
I am wondering about what this line is trying to tell me, any insights?
thanks again all