gimp & jpegs

I have succesfully built gimp on this new Debian 1.3 setup except that it
will not build the jpeg plugin.  The output from ./configure is

checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... (cached) no
configure: warning: *** JPEG plug-in will not be built ***

libjpeg.so.6a.0.0 is installed on the system - is there something else I
need?  I've gone through dselect installing everything to do with jpegs but
no luck.

Charles

--
Charles Shearer