Re: DEBIAN or REDHAT ?

Hi,

>> I am currently using hamm and am very happy with it.  I will be
>> installing a new Linux system soon but everyone is telling me to install
>> RedHat 5.  Has anyone any opinions on this?  I tend to be partial to
>> Debian, especially with GNOME being integrated into hamm.  However, I've
>> never used Redhat.

I have just switched from RedHat 5 to Debain 1.3.1,  The main difference
between the 2 is the installation routine.  I personally think that RedHat's is
better, but Debain seem to configure more on installation.

>> Also, I've been advised that RedHat puts out security fixes the next day
>> after a CERT advisory is released.  How is Debian when it comes to
>> security and other patches?  When I was using bo, patches weren't released
>> very often.  Is this an indication that RedHat is more buggy, or is it an
>> indication that Debian is more stable?  For example, when the CERT
>> advisory for SSH-AGENT was release over a week ago, one of the OSes that
>> responded to the CERT advisory was RedHat.  Much to my dismay, Debian
>> wasn't one of the OSes that was mentioned on the CERT list.  I ended up
>> compiling SSH on my own.

I have alos found that it seemed a lot of the packages avaliable under RedHat 5
were broken or just didn't work properly, so I had to get on the net and down
load all the updates, which I don't particulaly expect to have to do when
buying a commercial release of Linux.

This maybe true but RedHat are a commercial organisationwho are paying people
to write and fix code, Debain is not.  At the momment I think that Debain is
the better distribution for me anyway, but I do miss some of the tools
avaliable under RedHat, like the control panel, and glint but I can live
without them.

>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips.

Its all really personal choice, I prefer Debain my Friends like RedHat.  The
choice is yours, but if you can I would try both.

Graham