Re: Bad blocks

	   I keep getting {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }'s and I figure
   it's all bad blocks.  I ran "fsck /dev/hda2" but it only seems to do a
   cursory examination (not taking nearly as long as the scan when I installed
   Linux) and I keep getting the same errors after presumably correcting them.
    So I was wondering what the utility was to thouroughly check all of the HD
   for errors.

Use the badblocks(8) program.

	   Also, I've been told not to run disk checks while the HD is mounted, how
   can I load linux sans mounting the HD?  does it work if I boot from a
   floppy?

It shouldn't be a problem to run badblocks while the HD is mounted; it
does not write to the drive, just reads from it.