Re: Problems w/ppp dialup and sending mail: SOLVED!

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> > Until recently, that is, when my ISP (campus.mci.net) began bouncing
> > outgoing mail that has an unrecognized domain of origin.
>[snip]
> They are trying to look up frodo.cs.wcu.edu as a domain, and failing.  Try
> setting visible_name to their domain:
>
> visible_name=cs.wcu.edu
>
> Smail will stick your login name in front of this and use it in the SMTP
> transaction. It won't end up in your headers, but it might suffice to fool
> your isp.  Worked for me when mine did the same thing last year (that is,
> upgraded sendmail).
> --
> John Hasler

John,

Bingo! That single change Works like a charm. In .pinerc I set
visible_name=cs.wcu.edu, which actually generates an address of a real
account, as I have an a login there. The combination creates a name that
resolves, and campus.mci takes it.

Is it significant to the success of this that the login generated by my
longin name here and the domain at wcu is a legitimate account?

Many thanks also to Daniel Gross and James Thomas who replied to this
question.

--David