Re: Problems with libc6

Robson Francisco de Souza <rfsouza@fma.if.usp.br> writes:
RFdS> I have been trying to upgrade a friend's system from Debian
RFdS> 1.3.1 to Debian 2.0 (hamm) and although every program compiled
RFdS> for libc6 are working fine, many, but not all, programs compiled
RFdS> for libc5 don't work.  For those programs when I use ldd I get
RFdS> an output like
RFdS>
RFdS> > ldd ftp
RFdS>         libreadline.so.2 => /lib/libreadline.so.2 (0x4000a000)
RFdS>         libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5 (0x4002b000)
RFdS>         libncurses.so.3.0 => /lib/libncurses.so.3.0 (0x400e9000)
RFdS>	      libc.so.6 => /lib/libc-2.0.6.so
RFdS>
RFdS> why do both libraries are being called? Does it have something
RFdS> to do with other needed libraries (like libreadline.so.2)? And,
RFdS> above all, how can I solve this mess?

If a shared library is linked against libc.so.*, the Linux dynamic
linker will refuse to use it if the application is using a different
libc.  I think it only became policy to link libraries against -lc
recently, though, so libraries in bo might not have this.  You should
probably upgrade all of your library packages to the versions in hamm;
this should clean things up.

--
/                             \  "The cat's been in the box for over