Re: DEBIAN or REDHAT ?

On Thu, Feb 26, 1998 at 08:00:30AM -0500, Ossama Othman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently using hamm and am very happy with it.  I will be
> installing a new Linux system soon but everyone is telling me to install
> RedHat 5.  Has anyone any opinions on this?  I tend to be partial to
> Debian, especially with GNOME being integrated into hamm.  However, I've
> never used Redhat.

If you already know a particular distribution and you
 - know it
 - be happy with it
 - find all the software you need
 - are happy with its way to upgrade and organize things

how would you decide?

> Also, I've been advised that RedHat puts out security fixes the next day
> after a CERT advisory is released.  How is Debian when it comes to
> security and other patches?  When I was using bo, patches weren't released
> very often.  Is this an indication that RedHat is more buggy, or is it an
> indication that Debian is more stable?  For example, when the CERT
> advisory for SSH-AGENT was release over a week ago, one of the OSes that
> responded to the CERT advisory was RedHat.  Much to my dismay, Debian
> wasn't one of the OSes that was mentioned on the CERT list.  I ended up
> compiling SSH on my own.

Debian releases security fixed software, too.  We're not bumping the
version number with every fix.  Please look at http://www.debian.org/security/
to find out about our security.

Debian has some specialities included that prevents some vulnerabilities.
I'm sure that RedHat has some, too, maybe others.  Concerning ssh there
were fixed versions on our server 2 or 3 days after the report.

Regards,

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/ Ich muede, also bin ich                       -- Andreas Porr /