Re: APC UPS'es

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Gerardo Lamastra wrote:

> Well, we use a Linux powered server which is tied to the APC SmartUPS 1000
> and everything works right.
> I think you should not have any problem to configure the UPS; the
> genpowerd daemon is used, with the following command line:
>
> /sbin/genpowerd /dev/ttyS1 apc-advanced

I am looking for an easy reliable solution for one to three
debian servers.

The behaviour I want is different than what I usually see written
about.  I want the system to wait a bit then shutdown and
shut off the power until someone intervenes.  That is:  if the
power hiccoughs and no one is around shutdown 'til someone comes.

Would the APC do this?
Anyone have other recommendations?
Will it be a bear to set up?  (I'm not up on my db-25, and -9 pin-outs,
I think I've used fcntl once long ago for a micro-sleep routine.  I can
solder & read a multi-meter & follow simple directions sometimes.)

Thanks
rob
rir@phavl.ultranet.com