Re: root access and dselect | ftp

On 25 Feb 1998 22:47:23 +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> kotsya@u.washington.edu (David Stern) writes:
> > [..]
> > This is why I was asking about dselect | ftp, because if I'm root, and
> > I'm running ftp via dselect, then isn't this exactly what you're
> > telling me not to do?
>
> Yes, but there is no known way to force the ftpclient to do such
> things. The client doesn't accept any commands and any data it gets is,
> well, data, so it is not executed, just written to disk.

Initially I thought that ftpd accepted commands, but now that I think
about it a little more, I suppose it accepts data.  (at least for ftp
clients, running ftpd in server mode on the net might be a different
animal)

Running an ftp client as root seems to be an exception to the rule
about not running as root.

Thanks for the clarification. :-)

p.s.: I won't make personal replies until my headers are up to snuff,
which I'm working on.
--
David Stern