Re: fetchmail quit after upgrading smail

Hello friends,
> suggetions with no luck.

I was awaiting answers for this problem. I did solve it, but I don't
think it is the best way to get on with that pesky problem...

It seems that smail tries to check whether the sender really exists. And
the smail tries to connect to some DNS server to look up the IP of the
sender's server. This is a problem when your computer is not registered
in any of DNS and/or if you are not connected to Internet while
processing mail. It just can't connect and check the address of the
sender, and therefore it fails.

I had to install and run named server and I registered my own domain for
myself... That made the problem go away. As I needed DNS from various
reasons, it is good for me to have, but it is probably just wasting the
energy and space if you do not run a server.

As I say, I don't treat this as a good thing how to handle smail's
behavior.

Peter
--
                      * Peter Paluch                  *