IMAP quirk

I've got IMAP4 (imap4-4.1) installed and it seems to work well.. I'm using
Netscape 4 as the mail client, I can retrieve/send mail fine. WHat I can't
do it delete messages.

It moves them into the trash folder, then barfs that it could not delete the
source file [the actual message I assume]

So it's a case of having all the messages still in the INBOX, and a copy of
the semi-deleted ones in TRASH.

Is this an IMAP or a Netscape problem? Is it a problem? Am I overlooking
something hideously simple?

D.