Re: Port Scanning

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, matthew tebbens wrote:

> Is there anything out there to stop people from port scanning my system ?
> I had someone last night scan my system from port 1 to 50,000 !
>
> I heard that there is a portscand out there somewhere, if so where ?

You can't stop them beforehand.  You can prevent access subsequently with
ipfwadm and a kernel with firewalling compiled into it (prevent access
from just that host, or that subnet).

If you're very paranoid you could set up your firewall to deny all
services by default and only let in connections on services which you feel
are essential.  If cracking is actively occurring, contact their provider
to have them thrown off and/or prosecuted, and probably switch to ssh
exclusively for remote login and switch off telnet, ftp, imap, rlogin,
rexec, etc. etc.

Probably, the worst that they're doing is growing your logfiles because
you've got iplogger installed.

Thomas.