Magic Cookie???

Hi All:

I have been gradually replacing the "bo" components of my system with
the appropriate (I hope) "hamm" components.  However, after a recent
spate of changes I find that I get the following messages when I run
a program which tries to open a window in X:

     Xlib: Connection to ":0.0" refused by server
     Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
     Cannot open display

But somehow I am able to use an rxvt or xterm, although (for example)
when I run "vim" (non-graphics mode) and exit the editor I find the
same error message printed in my rxvt window.

Can someone please tell me where this problem comes from and what I
can do to fix it?

TIA
		Sherm Ostrowsky