Re: lpr remote printing

On Sat, Feb 21, 1998 at 02:49:36AM -0600, Alex Romosan wrote:
> the problem is the missing link to /var/spool from /usr/spool. since

base-files_1.6.1 has removed this link as it is against FHS, it might be put
back in before the release, but it is good that we can find "broken"
packages now.

> there are no references to /usr/spool/lpd in lpd, this most certainly
> comes from the /etc/printcap file. it certainly does on my system (the
> printcap is generated automatically by the distributed printing
> people). which brings up one of the things that i am beginning to find
> annoying about linux these days: this so called file system standard,
> which seems to be getting weirder and weirder every day, and more and
> more different than the other unixes. i used unix long before there
> was even linux, and for a while it was a pleasure to watch linux
> transform itself into a full fledged unix-like operating system. but
> now it is beginning to suffer from the emacs syndrome, insisting on
> doing things its own way for the sake of being different (or so it
> seems to me). don't get me wrong, i love linux and emacs (i am typing
> this in emacs on a debian/linux machine) but i do think that the fsf
> people suffer form terminal grandeur and debian, by choosing to follow
> them so closely, is beginning to exhibit the same symptoms.

There is no correct level of backwards compatability, I find Linux
refreshing that it doesn't shy away from severing backwards compatibly links
although your point is a good one. Indeed one of the main reasons for the
DFSG is that it means that we *can* fix all the packages in main. We have
twenty different unixes and one NT - which do *you* think is
easier^H^H^H^H^Hcheaper to port to :-(

Unfortunately the computer industry is the most backwards one in the world
IMHO. VHS vs Betamax is often quoted as an example of bad technology winning
over good technology, but the computer industry is just depressing:

   PCs, x86 chips, (E)IDE, TCP/IP, Ethernet, MS-DOS, Windows 3.x, Windows 95, NT,
   the list goes on...

One of the few exceptions seem to be 3.5" disks which did eventually oust
5.25".

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS